1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Pauline Simon <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CPEO Message to Subscribers

The tranfer of the CPEO military list from IGC to Topica is now
complete.  Thank you for your patience during this transition.  This
message is intended to welcome our new subscribers as well as remind our
current subscribers of how this list works.  *Please note subscribers
will not need to re-subscribe to the Topica listserve.

This Internet Mailing List is sponsored by the Center for Public
Environmental Oversight (formerly CAREER/PRO), which is based at the San
Francisco Urban Institute of San Francisco State University.  The
Military Environmental Forum is designed to be a non-partisan and open
discussion addressing the many issues surrounding military base closure,
cleanup, and conversion.

The goals of this Internet Listserve are simple:

1.  Provide a network through which community activists such as
RAB/CAB/SSAB members, officials and others - including experts - can
directly share information and ideas related to the military and the
environment.

2.  To disseminate up-to-date information about military environmental
problems, activity, policy, and legislation.

3.  To augment training forums and focus groups that we and others
provide for advisory board members.

This newsgroup is designed as a public forum for people to express their
opinions, post information, share successes and setbacks, ask questions,
and just plain discuss ideas.

CPEO moderates the Military Environmental Forum to ensure that all
postings are relevant, that copyrights are not violated, and that
messages are suitable for distribution.

How the process works:

1. You send a text message to <cpeo-military@igc.topica.com>. Please do
not submit attachments.

2. We quickly review the message.

If the message meets newsgroup criteria, we send it to the entire list.
You are free to forward any message you receive from us.

* If the message is not relevant to the Forum, we return it with an
explanation. If you think we're wrong, let us know why, and we'll
reconsider.

* If the message seems to be directed to an individual who has
previously posted a message, we will ask you whether you intend that it
to go out to the entire list.

* If you submit copyrighted material, we will ask you 1) to write a
summary of the article or report or 2) to post the title, author, date,
and one or two paragraphs of text. If available please provide a Web
link to the full text.

* If your message includes personal attacks or language that we think
our readers may find offensive, we will ask you to revise it. If you
insist on including the material, we will probably post it with a
disclaimer.

3. If you want to post a response to a message, then you should reply to
<cpeo-military@igc.topica.com>. If you want to respond to the creator of
the message, then you should key in the individual's e-mail address,
instead.

Please note that we will continue to archive the listserve messages on
the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.