1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: vicky.peters@state.co.us
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Restriction on Fines

I agree with the concerns voiced in this message.  However, I would point
out that the language is actually more detrimental than indicated in the
Delahunt letter as it also precludes States from assessing penalties, and
it precludes both States and EPA from assessing, not just "punitive
penalties", i.e., penalties for past violations, but also "coercive
penalties" which are used to "coerce" the offending party into doing the
right thing, like complying with a permit or court-ordered injunction.

Thus, in some respects, this language puts enforcers, state and federal
alike, in a weaker position than they were in prior to the clarifications
of sovereign immunity in RCRA and the Safe Drinking Water Act.  We have
taken a gigantic step backwards.

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

Got a Favorite Topic to Discuss?  Start a List at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/4