2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: rhugus@cape.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 16:49:38 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Vieques

>Vieques Libre - http://www.viequeslibre.org
>
>February 3, 2000
>
>Congreso Nacional Hostosiano    ****Press Release****
>
>First of all, the Hostosian National Congress (CNH) wishes to salute and
>congratulate the Puerto Rican people for having maintained themselves
>firmly in rejecting the plan of the Navy to reinitiate bombings against
>the Island of Vieques.  In spite of the fact that some political leaders
>have submitted to pressuring by the Navy and by Clinton, we have observed
>with much pride that the Viequenses and representatives of all sectors of
>civil society firmly reject the plan presented by the Governor to our
>country this past Monday.
>
>Governor Pedro Rosell=DB betrayed the aspirations for peace and liberty of
>the people of Vieques.  Projected before the world, according to the
>international press, that we Puerto Ricans are corruptible, that we sold
>out, that we are are willing to trade away issues of dignity and human
>rights in exchange for money.  He put aside the interests of Vieques for
>the immorality of three more years of bombings, without guarantees for
>removal of the United States Navy.
>
>Rossell=DB showed a lack of respect for the Working Commission on Vieques,
>imposing upon them an unconsulted decision, in open opposition to the
>public policy adopted by the Government of Puerto Rico.  Governor Pedro
>Rossell=DB owes an explanation to the Commission members, who represent the
>people of Puerto Rico.
>
>The real danger of "inert" bombs - alleging that they are "not explosive"-
>should not be minimized, as the Navy and its allies have tried to do.  It
>has been demonstrated by the Armed Forces' own studies that the impact by
>so-called "inert bombs" on contaminated terrain - in our case, with (among
>other toxics) dust from Reduced Uranium - raises a cloud of toxic
>materials carried by the wind up to 25 miles away.  The winds on Vieques
>are strong and blow from east to west, so that toxic and radioactive
>materials unavoidably fall on the civilian population, causing major
>damage to health and provoking more cancer and contamination.  One "inert"
>bomb weighing five hundred or a thousand pounds - falling on barrels
>filled with toxic waste submerged underwater near the coast in the firing
>area - would provoke a toxic waste spill with incalculable consequences,
>affecting the food sources of fish and other sea life and condemning the
>Viequenses and all of Puerto Rico to more cancer, toxic contamination, and
>death.
>
>Governor Rossell=DB alleges that he would assume the consequences of his
>decsions, but in reality those consequences will again fall, as we have
>seen on the Viequenses and on all of Puerto Rico.
>
>For our part, since the day of the Rossell=DB's announcement of his
>surrender we have been reinforcing the camp of the CNH in the Firing
> [...]

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

Follow the U.S. presidential race on our Politics list!
http://www.topica.com/lists/politics