2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marylia@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:22:44 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Grant Availability for Monitoring DOE

 *      *       *       ANNOUNCEMENT    *       *       *

Hi, peace and enviro colleagues.

Below is an announcement regarding the availability of grant money for
monitoring, analyzing and educating the public regarding the Dept. of
Energy's impact on the environment. The phone number and email address to
order everything your group or tribe needs in order to apply for a grant is
listed below. Please call or email to get the full info packet.

As one of those who participated in the long and sometimes grueling
negotiations to obtain the lawsuit settlement that included these monies
for community-based monitoring of DOE activities, I want to encourage you
to CHECK IT OUT. Our goal in achieving the settlement with DOE was and is
to get grant money out into affected communities and to groups and tribes
where it can do some good.

If you think your group or tribe has a good proposal and fits the
guidelines, please apply!! Also, if you aren't sure if you qualify, please
ask!! We negotiated for the least restrictive language possible, but the
eligibility for monies is necessarily tied to the language of the
settlement agreement.

Peace, Marylia

P.S. If you have any feedback on the process, feel free to contact me or
contact Resolve directly. --MK

Here is the announcement...

CITIZENS' MONITORING AND TECHNICAL ASSESSMENT FUND REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS

Winter 2000

The Citizens Monitoring and Technical Assessment Fund announces that it is
accepting proposals to provide monies to "eligible organizations" to
procure technical and scientific assistance to perform technical and
scientific reviews and analyses of environmental management activities at
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) sites. Monies from the Fund may also be
used to support the dissemination of the technical and scientific reviews
and analyses undertaken with monies from the Fund, but may not be used to
conduct litigation, lobbying, or fundraising. Non-profit, non-governmental
organizations and Federally recognized tribal governments working on issues
related to the DOE nuclear weapons complex are eligible to apply.

The Citizens' Monitoring and Technical Assessment Fund was created as part
of a 1998 court settlement between DOE and 39 plaintiffs (nonprofit peace
and environmental groups) around the country. The Fund is administered by
RESOLVE, Inc., a neutral non-profit dispute resolution organization with
special expertise in the environmental arena with offices in Washington,
DC, and Portland, Oregon.

RESOLVE will distribute up to $500,000 in this round of funding, with an
average amount of $25,000 and the maximum amount of $50,000 per grant.
Projects should be completed within a maximum of two years. Priority will
be given to eligible organizations and tribes that have limited
technological resources, or that may be "disenfranchised" or
"disproportionately affected" by environmental management activities at DOE
sites. Organizations and communities of color and low-income communities
and organizations are encouraged to apply. We anticipate that there will be
at least one more funding round in 2000.

For additional information please contact RESOLVE at 202-965-6212 or
mta-fund@resolv.org.

Please feel free to forward this announcement to colleagues and other
potentially interested parties.

The deadline for submitting applications is April 24, 2000

Marylia Kelley
Tri-Valley CAREs
(Communities Against a Radioactive Environment)
2582 Old First Street
Livermore, CA USA 94550

<http://www.igc.org/tvc/> - is our web site, please visit us there!

(925) 443-7148 - is our phone
(925) 443-0177 - is our fax

Working for peace, justice and a healthy environment since 1983, Tri-Valley
CAREs has been a member of the nation-wide Alliance for Nuclear
Accountability in the U.S. since 1989, and is a co-founding member of the
international Abolition 2000 network for the elimination of nuclear
weapons.

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

Who will win the Oscars? Spout off on our Entertainment list!
http://www.topica.com/lists/showbiztalk