2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:36:12 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Picatinny Follow-up

[This was posted to the listserve by Michael Glaab,
michaelglaab@worldnet.att.net, as a follow-up to the February 7 posting
about the Picatinny Arsenal. Note the correct spelling of
Picatinny.]

Since I had last communicated with you about the Picatinny cleanup issue
another aide of Senator Torricelli has been assigned responsibility for
the Picatinny matter. The previous aide has apparently left the
senator's service and is now employed elsewhere. Shortly after I
discussed this matter with him, the newly assigned aide forwarded to me
the following letter from the Senator's office to the Army. Senator
Torricelli's letter supports the cleaning up of contaminated sites in
accordance with the more restrictive state standards.

Considering the concern expressed in my earlier e-mails and the
necessity of being fair to all concerned parties, please attach this
explanatory note and the Senator's letter to those relevant documents.

***

						February 7, 2000

Secretary of the Army Louis Caldera
101 Army Pentagon
Washington, D.C. 20310-0101

Dear Secretary Caldera:

     I want to share with you my concerns about the remediation of a
large tract of land, Site 20/24, located at the Army's research facility
at Picatinny Arsenal, Dover, New Jersey.  For far too long, the
Department of the Army and the New Jersey Department of Environmental
Protection (DEP) have been negotiating the cleanup of Site 20/24, but
have not settled on a plan.  One of the main issues of contention is
that the Army has one standard for environmental cleanups, while New
Jersey has a higher standard.  I am writing to urge the Department of
the Army accept New Jersey's standard of remediation and that removal
begin as quickly as possible.

     The State of New Jersey has provided the land for Picatinny Arsenal
to the Department of Defense for decades of vital research, development,
and testing.  With that exchange come responsibilities that are not in
dispute.  The Army has established uniform rules for the cleanup of land
contaminated as a result of military activity.  While I understand the
need for the Department of Defense to attempt a uniform policy to deal
with such issues throughout the country, you need to understand the
unique nature of New Jersey's environment.

     We are the most densely populated state in the nation, and sadly,
have the most Superfund sites. A history of industrial development has
left a legacy of thousands of acres of Brownfields and too many
contaminated waterways and ground waters.  When there is contamination
in a densely populated area there must be no debate about the extent of
the cleanup.  Millions of families rely on aquifers beneath land like
this and throughout northern New Jersey for their drinking water.
Because of these and other concerns, New Jersey has developed more
stringent guidelines for environmental cleanups.  The Department of
Defense has developed guidelines too for environmental cleanup.  I
believe, these guidelines should be used as a floor, not a ceiling,
setting minimum requirements to ensure cleanup, but not restricting
sites from a more comprehensive standard.

     I would appreciate your review of this matter.  Again, I urge the
Army to begin with the clean up of this site as soon as possible at the
standards set by the New Jersey DEP.  Please direct all correspondence
or questions to Mike Flynn in my Newark office.

						Sincerely,

						ROBERT G. TORRICELLI
						United States Senator

RGT:mpg
cc: NJDEP Commissioner Robert Shinn
EPA Regional Administrator Jeanne Fox
Mr. Michael Glaab, PAERAB

--
You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.