2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: meuser@mapcruzin.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:41:25 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ACA too good to be true?

========
HI - I reserve the right to remain cynical about our right-to-know on
this one.  Tomorow (friday 03/24/00) the Alliance for Chemical
Awareness (ACA) will debut their website:

http://www.chemicalawareness.org

I do not have full details yet, but I'm sure that they will be
forthcoming.  I do know that the ACA is a new coalition of
chemical producers, chemical trade associations, chemical
users, government agencies and NGO's.  Their initial effort
will be focused on HPVs. Larry Games of Procter & Gamble is the
chair of ACA.  I imagine that Environmental Defense (formerly EDF)
and CMA (chemical manufacturer's association) will be players
since they have partnered on HPV's (see
http://www.mapcruzin.com/scruztri/docs/news020300a.htm ).

They have a six-part mission according to a Vision and Mission
Statement:

1.  Develop a risk-based framework for assessing uses of
chemicals to identify applications with greater and lesser risk;

2.  Facilitate inclusion of exposure data in risk assessments and
develop a library of accepted screening-level exposure models;

3.  Identify mechanisms for data sharing among companies that
can enhance chemical risk assessment while minimizing concerns
about confidentiality and liability;

4.  Establish information resources that a platform and tools for
communication with the public about risks associated with
products and facility operations;

5.  Encourage transparency of methodologies and processes used
for risk assessment and sharing of chemical data that is relevant to
health and environmental risk; and

6.  Coordinate US risk communication efforts with international
ones.

Sounds great but is it too good to be true? It's interesting to note
that this alliance comes on the heals of the EPA shutdown (note
that even though the EPA site is now open, many databases are
not available).  One could surmise that the void left by epa, and our
access to raw environmental data, will now be filled by industry
orchestrated interpreted data.  We'll see.

Mike

Michael R. Meuser,
Environmental Sociologist
meuser@mapcruzin.com

http://www.mapcruzin.com/
Environmental Communication, GIS, RTK
Environmental & Sociodemographic Research
"Making Data Make Sense"

Join RMP-Watch. Send a blank message to:
rmp-watch-subscribe@topica.com

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com
Enlighten your in-box.         http://www.topica.com/t/15