2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:25:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Army blocks Aberdeen treatment plan

Lenny,

This seems to be a common occurence in regards to military 'exercises'
polluting the general public they are there to serve and protect.  We have a
similiar story regarding the Camp Bonneville Base Closure in Vancouver, WA.
In 1991, a portion of this 3800 acre site was characterized for immediate
groundwater investigation.  It was in regards to the 'Impact Area', which
continues to be up for debate due to the fact it appears all 3800 acres was
used for 'impact' purposes.  The talk 'around the RAB table' is it is
'scheduled' for investigation yet no timeline seems to available.  I must
interject that those I've worked with closely on this base closure appear to
have 'their hearts in the right place' but also seem to have their hands tied
by the 'bigger guns' up the chain of command.  Of course, being a 'lowly
civilian' I am not privy to many of the discussions taking place in the
military circles.

Okay, so now the problem/complaining is done, on the table.......anyone out
there have a suggestion or many on how to address this issue that seems to be
'standard' across this nation and worldwide?

Stella Bourassa
RAB member of Camp Bonneville Base Closure