2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: cduncan@slonet.org
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Shelby UXO Incident

Re: UXO and danger to kids

Community education has not been addressed as far as I see in these recent
communications regarding UXO and public risk. Has anyone done a study or
been made aware in any way if community education is an effective means of
preventing tragedies  like the Camp Shelby incident? I am specifically
talking about going into local schools near the base and impressing on
young minds through demonstration the power involved in some of these
interesting
curiosities that are actually volitle bombs in many cases. I guess the
trick would be to impress with enough realism to deter and not provoke more
interest. It seems that such a program if well designed, carefully
thought out and able to be taken seriously by children could be of some
benefit. I would be curious to know if any research has been done in this
area or if existing programs that are presently being used as an added
precaution have any positive impact..

Cathy-  cduncan@slonet.org