2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: evnjustice@redshift.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:49:28 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Digest for cpeo-military@igc.topica.com, issue 136

Why is it that Fort Ord is considered so wholesome???? Are you saying that
Fort Ord has done justice to these communities??

For the Environmental Justice community, information is very limited.  I
receive phone calls asking me why people were not told that this is a
Superfund site?  Why CSUMB never told students in advance what to expect,
or warn of potential dangers.  Why information is so limited.  Why is the
process not condusive to the African/American or other ethnic communities?
Why there are no Environmental Health clinics?  Why are there no jobs for
local affected EJ communities?  Why no financial support for minority
environmental EJ group.  Why? Why? Why?

I saw a child about 9 years old standing at the fence across from the City
of Seaside, while driving.  I saw him put his leg up on the fence and I did
a u-turn and went back.  He ran away through a fence into the =
city.

I went to City Hall and alerted the citizens, and brought the concern to
the Army's clean-up meeting.  I was asked by Army Env employee, why didn't
I call military police???   da! da!  I guess that I was too stupid??  Whose
responsibility is it?  Who should the concerns be brought to??

The BASE CLOSURE, Environmental STRESS Health conditions are extremely =
high!  NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT IS HAPPENING TO =
AFFECTED COMMUNITIES!  NO ONE!

WE NEED ANSWERS AND WE NEED THEM NOW!!  WE ARE NOT TOYS, BUT LIVE =
BREATHING CITIZENS OF OUR VARIOUS COMMUNITIES, WITH CHILDREN, WITH =
FAMILIES!!!

LeVonne Stone, Restoration Community Member
Director, Fort Ord Environmental Justice Network
Member Nat'l Military Munitions Dialogue Committee
Member BSC