2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: hmayer@rci.rutgers.edu
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:05:16 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] New Brownfields web site

The National Center for Neighborhood and Brownfields Redevelopment,
which is part of the E.J. Bloustein School of Planning & Public Policy
at Rutgers University, launched a new and different internet web site
about six weeks ago. Our objective is to create an important national
clearinghouse, or resource center, and information exchange for local
governments, community organizations, and others actively involved in
brownfields redevelopment, smart planning, and neighborhood
revitalization issues.

To date, we have cataloged, written abstracts on, and developed
hot-links to about 400 news articles, research papers, reports, books,
presentations, and other information written by government agencies,
universities, economic development and other non-profit organizations,
newspapers, faculty and staff at the Bloustein School, and practitioners
themselves. The newest and most relevant papers, tools, etc. are listed
in headlines on one of several home pages, and each has a teaser that
gives you a brief idea of what it is about. Rather than then sending you
off to a web site to find what may be an old or much duplicated paper,
we provide a short summary of what you will find and provide a hot link
that, in most instances, brings the full report up on our site in PDF,
HTML or whatever format is used by the authors. You can download, print,
or simply read it without leaving our site. When you're done, click back
with your browser and pick a different paper or tool.

We believe that this searchable online database could expand to
encompass as many as 1,500 documents, and we welcome suggestions on
papers, reports, or other tools that we might add.

We believe that individuals charged with brownfields redevelopment,
economic revitalization, and/or protecting open space also need ready
access to current and accurate information about federal and state,
grant and loan programs which might be used to promote their activities.
Our web site provides direct access to a searchable database of all
federal grant and loan programs, and news on announcements of funding
availability, new grant and loan programs, and changes in grant
application procedures. Over the past week we have begun adding state
grant and loan programs.

Our third objective is to provide tools that enable practitioners to
regularly discuss current and relevant issues and to exchange
information, advice, and ideas with their peers, other community
officials involved in related fields, and panels of experts on a
national and international scale. We accomplish this through the use of
internet message board and chat room technology which has proven highly
successful in bringing together communities of individuals interested in
a common subject or issue. We welcome those of you who use the CPEO
brownfields list-serve to also participate in the dialogue we hope to
build on these boards.

The URL for our site is:

http://policy.rutgers.edu/brownfields

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Henry Mayer, Ph.D.
Executive Director