2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:00:04 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Interim Policy on Land USe Controls Associated w/ Envir.Restoration A

Please post for me!

I have reviewed the aforementioned document.  There is a great lack of
seriousness in the language and DoD, as well as the entities accepting
contaminated properties/LUC's MUST address these types of documents from the
bottom line:
health and safety of the public and environment.

As I reviewed the language I found it inappropriate and lacking gravity due
to one small simple word:  "should".  Wherever the word "should" if found
needs to be replaced with the word "shall".  In regards to law, statutes,
codes, etc. each of these words carry great weight.  "Should" does not hold
any of the entities to follow through.  "Shall" makes it mandatory.

It cannot be stressed enough that DoD and those entities accepting these
contaminated parcels must address the health and safety issues with the most
severe 'legal' language.  Each and every document DoD puts out regarding
BRAC/FUDS sites must abide by the same severe language.  Only then will
stakeholders believe the bottom line:
health and safety of the public and environment.

Stella Bourassa