2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: kc2th@aol.com
Date: 11 Jan 2001 18:33:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] War and the Environment

I have enjoyed reading the recent posts regarding acts of the military,
long-term impacts, necessity of war, etc.  While people naturally have
different opinions on everything from perspective on an issue to writing
style, there are some observations to be made regarding common ground that
certainly exists.

First, this country was founded on fighting for freedom and such fighting
generally has kept this country free and strong since it was born. With this
history, in turn, those who have served or do serve in the U.S. military
have
reason and right to be proud of that service to the country they love.

Unfortunately, there are certain times where horrific acts of defending
freedom, acts of war, political agression or whatever you want to call a
specific event are unavoidable.  It is hard to argue that the history of Man
does not prove this point.

On the other hand, there is pure and straightforward logic in the belief
that
killing innocent people home or abroad, whether it be through acute weaponry
or chronic environmental contamination, is wrong and we have a duty to our
fellow man and this planet to avoid it whenever possible. Again, this is
something that I believe is a point of common agreement for most I have met
and worked with during my efforts over the years.

So, is there some understanding and common ground to be found between the
two
observations?
Of course.

Are these different perspectives mutually exclusive?
For this country and this planet, we must not let them be.

Is compromise a necessity?
Certainly.

Is accountability an integral part of compromise?
Absolutely.

I believe we must not get lost in a segmented focus on one technology or one
policy issue or pontificating on how we differ. Certainly such discussion is
necessary to explore an issue and show a view point, but we must regularly
and consistently pull it back to the larger picture, the bigger goals and
what we want and need to
accomplish for ourselves and future generations.

>I believe those who participate here and in other similar forums are most
capable of making the greatest strides in solid environmental policy
development, communication building and public participation. Together, we
have the knowledge and passion to do so.

Nuturally, with the energy that comes with
the passion, it is easy to get lost, easy to carve out a little niche and
miss the goal, and certainly easier to disagree and walk away than to
disagree and find some compromise to build from.  I hope the latter and
harder path can become a consistent theme to work from on this board and in
our efforts in the coming year.

I wrote a poem for everyone for the New Year regarding communication and
this
observation, but it was considered off-topic for this board.  If you would
like to see it people can always e-mail me and I will send it along, but the
message is this:

Lets always work to be humble and open enough to look for ways to actually
hear and understand these differing words and perspectives and have the time
and effort spent here lead us to somewhere constructive. Have it lead us
down
an organized and admirable path where we can look back and see concrete
accomplishments. I believe it can be done.

Steps may be small and we may need to help each other by pointing out
accomplishments when they happen, as it is hard to see the forest for the
trees, but steps have been and will continue to be made.

If this is cryptic or a point is confusing or you think I miss the boat, I
would be happy to hear back from you and/or provide more specificity to
anyone interested or the board as a whole. But, I will stop for now as this
one is getting too long.

Keep up the effort and the drive to learn.

Peace

Ted