2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: UTOSI-Hdqrs@kc.rr.com
Date: 12 Jan 2001 21:15:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Pentagon relies on robotic pipe cleaner: Why not also use same atSFAA

To Ralph and Tom:

Can we get the Army to provide the same type of pipe cleaner as stated
below for use at SFAAP?

It would sure help in the asbestos insulation removal from the 50,000 feet
of above ground steam lines.

Jim Oyler, Principal Chief
United Tribe of Shawnee Indians
********************
Pentagon relies on robotic pipe cleaner

The BOA robot can strip asbestos insulation from pipes ten times as fast
as a human

CNN's Marsha Walton looks at the asbestos eating robot

(CNN) -- Nearly a million square feet of the Pentagon has been stripped to
its bare bones as part of an ongoing program to bring the Defense
Department megalith up to code by 2010.
Now, a robotic pipe cleaner could rescue Pentagon renovators from the
hazards of asbestos removal.

"You name a code, and we were not compliant," said Lee Evey, program
manager for the Pentagon renovation effort. "The last time we were
compliant with the National Electric Code was 1953. We are not compliant
with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

Architecture and aesthetics were not high on the list of priorities during
wartime 58 years ago when the Pentagon's foundation was laid.

"It was built in 16 months," Evey says. "They employed 15,000 workers who
worked 24 hours a day to build this building. It started in '41 and was
completed in January of '43. The U.S. at the time was looking at the
possible entry into World War II, and the various military departments were
scattered around town in 17 different buildings."

Continued.....

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9907/29/t_t/pentagon.pipecleaner/index.html