2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 20:35:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Blumenauer "Dear Colleague" letter

from Stella Bourassa <StellaVB@aol.com>

Congressman's Blumenauer push for DoD to address this issue let's
myself,  and the countless numbers of other 'stakeholders', know that we
have  elected officials who truly care about those they are serving, as
well as  the environment.

Congressman Blumenauer:

I am a RAB member of the Camp Bonneville Base Closure, 'right over the
river from Portland'.  I have made the UXO issue the number one concern
of  mine since my involvement.  When I heard Clark County wanted to
create a  'park' within this 3800 acres I was horrified.  The historical
archives,  which are not all they should be, showed firing fans covering
most of these  acres.  The thought of children 'playing' on any part of
this land seemed  ridiculous.  I found Senator Murray and her staff
understanding of the  seriousness of UXO's coupled with Harry Craig, EPA
and Chris Mauer, DOE  leading the cleanup methodologies in the right
direction.  You have very  dedicated and committed stakeholders working
(or is that fighting) to  address not only the 'accidents waiting to
happen' but as important, the  contamination these UXO's leave behind.
 The groundwater contamination has  become a key focus of debate,
particularly when will the wells be drilled  in order to locate the
plume of contamination.  The Army was 'good enough'  to pay for testing
of wells 'off site' but as anyone knows who is involved  in these
BRAC/FUDS a well that tests 'clean' today could easily get hit  with the
contaminated groundwater plume tomorrow!

I would hope you would find time to attend the RAB meetings and the BCT
meetings for Camp Bonneville.  My biggest fear is the contaminated
groundwater within Camp Bonneville could 'someday' hit Vancouver,
Portland  and the Columbian River if let 'unchecked' for any length of
time.  Those  of us involved with this RAB knows the 'cleanup' wheel has
moved much to  slowly and we could use the extra 'push' to address the
issues.

Sincerely/Respectfully,
Stella Bourassa