2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marylia@earthlink.net
Date: 23 Mar 2001 17:35:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Imp. New Info on Tri-Valley CAREs' web site

Dear peace and environmental colleagues:

We are pleased to share some important, new items on our web site with you.
Our web address is http://www.igc.org/tvc. There you will find:

        * SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS RENOUNCE WORK ON NUCLEAR WEAPONS -- Read
all about the new international pledge campaign launched at the annual AAAS
meeting by Tri-Valley CAREs, Los Alamos Study Group, Western States Legal
Foundation and the Natural Resources Defense Council. The article is in our
March 2001 CITIZEN'S WATCH. Also new on the web site, under press releases
section, is news of a Livermore Lab scientist who quit to protest the Lab's
nuclear weapons activities. You will find his open letter as a PDF file
below the press release.

        * THE PLEDGE -- An easily downloadable PDF version of the
"Scientists' and Engineers' Pledge to Renounce Weapons of Mass Destruction"
is also on our web site. ** If you are a scientist or engineer (or
student), please sign on. ** If you are part of an organization, please
contact us about becoming a co-sponsor of the pledge!

        * "GREEN SCISSORS 2001" -- A national study of polluter pork names
the National Ignition Facility as a "choice cut" for the coming year. Read
all about Tri-Valley CAREs and CALPIRG's release of the report at Livermore
Lab. It's in the March CITIZEN'S WATCH.

        * GOOD FRIDAY ACTION AT LIVERMORE LAB -- April 13 beginning at 6:45
AM. Check our MARCH NEWSLETTER for an article and other information.

        * LEGAL UPDATES -- Our MARCH 2001 CITIZEN'S WATCH has the latest on
our (1) Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits, (2) California
Environmental Quality Act lawsuit, and (3) Federal Advisory Committee Act
lawsuit and the Motion for Preliminary Injunction against the National
Ignition Facility's "Rebaseline" Committee. (Note: Our February 2001
newsletter explains this key legal action under FACA in detail. Our
November 2000 edition gives you the background on the FOIA cases.)

        * MEET THE NEW SECRETARY OF ENERGY. Wonder about Spencer Abraham's
record? Wonder no more. It's in our MARCH NEWSLETTER.

        * RUSSIAN ACTIVISTS ask for help to prevent the importation of
nuclear waste. We have initiated a sign-on letter, drafted by our Russian
colleagues, and we have over 45 signatures to date. Your group has until
close of business March 14 to sign on. Please look in our MARCH CITIZEN'S
WATCH -- and act now.

        * CHECK IT OUT. There is a calendar section in our latest
newsletter and succinct, topical "Print Bites" in our February edition. The
FEBRUARY CITIZEN'S WATCH also introduces you to a new Tri-Valley CAREs'
staff member, Inga Olson.

VISIT our web site and get acquainted! No shirt or shoes required! Enjoy!

Peace,
Marylia

Marylia Kelley
Tri-Valley CAREs
(Communities Against a Radioactive Environment)
2582 Old First Street
Livermore, CA USA 94550

<http://www.igc.org/tvc/> - is our web site, please visit us there!

(925) 443-7148 - is our phone
(925) 443-0177 - is our fax

Working for peace, justice and a healthy environment since 1983, Tri-Valley
CAREs has been a member of the nation-wide Alliance for Nuclear
Accountability in the U.S. since 1989, and is a co-founding member of the
Abolition 2000 global network for the elimination of nuclear weapons, the
U.S. Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons and the Back From the Brink
campaign to get nuclear weapons taken off hair-trigger alert.