2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: themissinglink@eznetinc.com
Date: 9 Jul 2001 15:45:22 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] U.S. Military Wastes in the Philippines

What amazes me about our military is the arrogance in dealing with the views
that local
individuals and governments hold regarding them.  From Vieques concerns
being ignored to RAB's
being ignored (and even unilaterally dismantled) to the hundreds of other
games they play with
feasibility studies and risk assessments.

And all because of some rule that makes them immune from other branches of
government.  Is it a
win at all cost, never back down, mentality carried over from their core
warfighting mission being
applied to other areas of social responsibility?

This article alone shows that this arrogance costs the United States
diplomatically and we had to
remove our base from the Philippines.  In Japan we also see United States
foreign policy and
national security being compromised by this lack of social responsibility on
the part of the
military.  There is real resentment over the U.S. Military and even talk of
a change in the
Japanese constitution to allow for offensive warfighting capability.  We
could end up losing our
bases in Okinawa because of this.  The military has a responsibility to be
good cistizens.

And back to pollution, how does the military balance the defense of this
nation with the pollution
of the nation?  Much, if not most, of the DOD pollution is not the natural
consequence of training
exercises as the DOD states is for our protection and for troop safety. This
is a false argument.
No, it is the natural consequence of sloppy environmental practice, ignoring
all EPA rules of
landfill creation and management, and an apparant regard for federal
property as private for their
use at their pleasure regardless of the environmental impact.  No one has
ever said that training
should not occur as the military implies in response to environmental
concerns.  Ranges can be
narrowed as to target areas and can be situated with regard to environemtnal
pathways to minimize
civilian contact.  Landfills can be created in compliance with CERCLA, the
Clean Water Act, RCRA
and other laws that govern everyone else besides the military.

It's as if they think their #@*& doesn't stink because of their mission.
Well industry is just as
critical to the welfare of the nation and I don't see them getting the
special consideration the
military seems to feel entitled to.  We would all be dead if the entire
environmental policy of
this country were extrapolated from DOD practices.

It's time for the military to view the environmental impact of their
operations and the effect on
national policy their image has as part of their core mission.

I don't think our founding fathers envisioned the military becoming the
fourth branch of
government that seems to have occurred.

Steven Pollack
888-300-8031