2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Robert A. LoPinto, PE" <shapiroengineers@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 22:59:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Private labs fake environmental tests,government find

 From: Robert A. LoPinto, PE
         Community Co-Chair, Ft. Totten Restoration Advisory Board.

   On our project, some members expressed a concern that the private
contractor hired by the USACE or the USACE would falsify results of
testing.  We solved this by having the State take split samples on some
of the samples, and by me observing sample collection and sample
splitting.  Some members of the RAB were still concerned, but most felt
this was sufficient to ensure adequate test results.

   I am also the President of a small consulting environmental
engineering company that has a small environmental lab, for which I am
the Lab Director.  I am aware that some labs can falsify data, however
the majority of the private labs do good, honest work.  If a lab (or
government entity) is found falsifying data, than appropriate action
should be taken.

   I think the article may imply that the laboratories are the guilty
party.  As a former US Army Inspector General, I can state that both
government and non-government employees have acted unethically and
dishonestly, and probably some still do.  Fraud is possible anywhere
(everywhere).  We just have to understand that it might happen and take
the appropriate steps to ensure it doesn't and to ensure it is detected
and dealt with.

   But most government and private consultants and contractors are
honest, if for no other reason that they want to maintain their good
reputation so they can be considered for future jobs and/or projects.
Lets not accuse the whole industry for the acts of the few.