2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: themissinglink@eznetinc.com
Date: 10 Feb 2003 14:59:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] APGSCC Perchlorate article

This type of political pressure being applied to the EPA to keep from
imposing guidelines for toxicity levels is exactly the kind of capricious
behavior that will allow lawsuits against the EPA/DOD to succeed.

Groups everywhere should be filing petitions under the National Contingency
Plan to force the EPA to conduct preliminary assessments into the
perchlorate.  This is non-discretionary on the part of the EPA.

? 9605. National contingency plan
.	(d) Petition for assessment of release
Any person who is, or may be, affected by a release or threatened release of
a hazardous substance or pollutant or contaminant, may petition the
President to conduct a preliminary assessment of the hazards to public
health and the environment which are associated with such release or
threatened release. If the President has not previously conducted a
preliminary assessment of such release, the President shall, within 12
months after the receipt of any such petition, complete such assessment or
provide an explanation of why the assessment is not appropriate. If the
preliminary assessment indicates that the release or threatened release
concerned may pose a threat to human health or the environment, the
President shall promptly evaluate such release or threatened release in
accordance with the hazard ranking system referred to in paragraph (8)(A) of
subsection (a) of this section to determine the national priority of such
release or threatened release.

I did it successfully with Fort Sheridan when the BCT refused to address the
chemicals in artillery fired into Lake Michigan because it was "public
property and not part of the BRAC process".  You don't need to be a lawyer
to file this.  Anyone interested can send me an email and I will send you a
copy of the document I filed so you can use it as a template.

And again, I would implore you to contact your local university to see if
you can get their law school, engineering school, and chemistry department
to assign a few students for independent study on your particular issues.
It is free and carries the weight of the institution.

Steven Pollack