2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 19:45:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Briefing on Depleted Uranium

The following is the introduction to a briefing on Depleted Uranium that
took place on March 14, 2003.

NEWS TRANSCRIPT from the United States Department of Defense
DoD News Briefing
COL James Naughton, U.S. Army Materiel Command
Friday, March 14, 2003 -- 1 p.m.EST

(Also participating; Dr. Michael Kilpatrick, (OASD HA)
Deployment Health Support Directorate

MODERATOR:  Thank you for attending this afternoon. Today's briefing is
on depleted uranium.  Depleted uranium is
something that I think we have not done a good enough  job in making
sure that everybody understands what depleted uranium is and what it
isn't.  And as we go forward, and if there is a conflict in Iraq, I
think it's important for everybody to have a
good understanding of depleted uranium, because there is an awful lot of
misinformation out there about depleted uranium.

To help us do that today we have two briefers.  We have Army Colonel
James Naughton from the U.S. Army Materiel Command and he'll talk about
depleted uranium as a weapon and as an armor plating.  And also with us
today is Dr. Michael
Kilpatrick, who is of the Deployment Health Support Directorate, and he
will be here to talk to you about the health effects of
depleted uranium.  We have probably about 30 minutes or so, but we will
try to get all your questions answered.  So  let's go
ahead and get started.

The full presentation and Q&A session can be viewed at:
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2003/t03142003_t314depu.html