2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 14:48:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Everett Council votes to ask Navy to park radar dome elsewhere

Washington
THE EVERETT HERALD
Everett Council votes to ask Navy to park radar dome elsewhere
April 10, 2003
By David Olson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- Arguing that a massive domelike missile-defense platform that
the U.S. Navy is proposing for Port Gardner Bay would hurt the city's
economy and harm the bay's environment, the Everett City Council on
Wednesday voted to ask the military to put the facility elsewhere.

The vote came four days after about 300 people -- most of whom appeared
to oppose the radar platform -- attended two hearings on the proposal at
which residents peppered Defense Department officials with sharp
questions.

Councilman Ron Gipson said Wednesday that the council was heeding the
wishes of constituents who do not want the Sea-based X-band radar in
their backyard.

"The mayor and this council are making a strong statement that, yes, we
are listening to you, and we don't want this object -- this monstrosity
-- in our bay," Gipson said.

Mayor Frank Anderson said he had strong concerns ever since he first
heard about the proposed platform. The more he learned about the
proposal and the more he listened to residents' objections, the more he
became convinced that the platform doesn't belong in a densely populated
city such as Everett.

"As supportive as we are of the military in this city -- especially of
the Navy -- we could not accept this," he said. "It just doesn't fit in
our port."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/03/4/10/16788791.cfm