2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 14:07:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Childersburg records deed for AAAP property, now takes ownership

Alabama
Childersburg records deed for AAAP property, now takes ownership
DAILY HOME ONLINE
By Joe Schweizer
04-10-2003

CHILDERSBURG — It's now official.

Having recorded the deed for the former Alabama Army Ammunition Plant
property, the city of Childersburg now owns the bulk of the land.

The deed was recorded at the Talladega County Probate Judge's Office
Tuesday, according to Mayor B.J. Meeks.

Councilwoman Margie Sanford said she is "elated and excited" at the city
taking ownership.

"There was a time when it was discouraging,” Sanford said. “We were
initially told (getting the property) could take as long as six years.
It's great to see it done in about three.

"We have to get moving with the property, get the word out about it and
let people know we have the deed."

The property comprises about 2,200 acres off Alabama 235. The U.S. Army
executed the deed last month and gave it to the city for recording. The
document does not include the property's railroad tracks, which will be
given later through a no-cost bill of sale.

The city is developing the property into the Coosa Industrial Park.

Owning the property will help the city market land to potential tenants.
"We can give definite answers now as to availability and what we can and
cannot do," Meeks said.

Ownership means the city and Army will no longer have to work out
special arrangements to get land to tenants, said Calvin Miller,
executive director of the Talladega County Economic Development
Authority.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.dailyhome.com/news/2003/dh-childersburg-0410-jschweizer-3d09v0539.htm