2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dickboyd@aol.com
Date: 20 May 2003 13:28:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Nitrosamines was "WAR"

Larry, thanks for pointing out the use of nitrosodimethylamine in some of the
fuels used at Beale.

Are you in Yuba County? The family of nitrosamine chemicals was highlighted
on California's Prop 65, I believe. The stuff also shows up in cigarette
smoke, bacon, hot dogs and the like as a byproduct of nitrites and nitrates
reactions. As far as I know, the stuff is still used in cosmetics, fertilizer
and the like. But I'm sure someone active in the field has current
information.

There was the comment that perchlorate may not be the worst of the things to
be found in water contaminated by rocket oxidizers. But because perchlorate
is so soluble and is now easier to detect (new test methods) it might be
useful as a tracer to detect where the potentially contaminated water flows.

Each of the California Counties has ordinances that require certain action
when a well is drilled, and before the water is declared potable. Some
counties even have periodic review of wells and require shut down permits to
ensure they are capped off to prevent contamination from surface water.
Mostly, the well driller has to seal off a certain section of pipe, estimate
the flow and the like. The information seems to disappear. Unless you are the
property owner or the well driller, you may not be able to find out much
about the wells in the county.

But then chemical contamination is a concern for more than just former
Defense sites.