2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 May 2003 13:43:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Sec. of Defense Announces Annual Env.AwardWinners

The following was posted by Charles Douglas <caseyjones9@hotmail.com>
Come on folks, slack off a little.  I too wish there was no need for
weapons systems; bullets
to battleships.  But that really isn't realistic, as much as we wish it
were, and so, as long as
Congress funds programs to buy these things, we need to bring
environmental
considerations into the process early on rather than deal with
unanticipated consequences
later on.  Pollution prevention in acquisition does that - it considers
the environment, safety
and occupational health (ESOH) effects throughout the entire life cycle
of the system.  That
means identifying ESOH effects that can be encountered during design,
manufacturing, test
and evaluation, operations, logistics support, (storage, shipping,
maintenance), and finally,
disposal.

It also means identifying mitigation to minimize identified
hazards/risks during each phase in
the life cycle (alternative materials, alternative processes).

So, the DoD Environmental Award category for "ENVIRONMENTAL EXCELLENCE
IN WEAPON SYSTEM ACQUISITION-TEAM" is to recognize an acquisition team's

success in this regard.  You can see a write-up of the this award
nomination requirements at

https://www.denix.osd.mil/denix/Public/Library/Awards/2001-DEAP/guidancefy01.html#tabf

The DoD guidance for this award clearly states that it is incorporating
ESOH analysis into
the acquisition decision making process.

Charles “Jeff” Douglas