2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 May 2003 23:55:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RCRA and CERCLA Update

Earlier this evening Senator Inhofe filed an amendment to restore the RCRA and CERCLA exemptions to the Senate version of the Defense Authorization Act. CPEO has not seen the language so we are uncertain if the amendment restores the original DOD wording or if the language differs and if so, how.

It is our understanding that Inhofe will probably bring this up tonight and a debate on the relevance will ensue. It is highly likely that if the amendment is not ruled relevant that Inhofe will get Warner to agree on the record that the issue will be addressed in conference committee.

Senator Warner as the Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee is pivitol in this debate.

This has the potential to severely impact muntions and perchlorate cleanups across the country.

Aimee

Aimee R. Houghton
Associate Director, CPEO
1101 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000