2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Jun 2003 20:01:46 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Tejon Ranch

[Military planners are concerned about the conflict between possible
development of the Tejon Ranch in Southern California's western Antelope
Valley and key existing low-level military air routes used for training
and research, development, test, and evaluation. These routes link sea
operation areas with inland ranges such as Edwards Air Force Base, China
Lake, and the Chocolate Mountains.

The following press release, from the Trust for Public Land, announces
action that will restrict development on a substantial portion of the
Tejon Ranch property. - LS]

Tejon Ranch Agreement Could Protect 100,000 Acres (CA)
May 29, 2003
(from http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=11805&folder_id=266)

Contact:
Mary Menees, Trust for Public Land,(415) 495-5660 x375 or (415) 608-2645 (cell)
Cheryl Bruning, Tejon Ranch Company, (661) 248-3000

TEJON RANCH, CA, 5/29/03 - Tejon Ranch Company and the Trust for Public
Land (TPL) announced today a partnership to pursue the sale and
permanent public protection of up to 100,000 acres of pristine habitat
and wild lands on the historic Tejon Ranch, 60 miles north of Los
Angeles. "This innovative partnership is the first step toward possible
public purchase and permanent protection of a pristine, unique, and
historic landscape the size of Yosemite Valley and twice the size of
Santa Catalina Island," said Reed Holderman, Executive Director of the
Trust for Public Land California.

"We will work closely together to publicly protect sensitive habitat
lands that are home to many rare and endangered species. The Ranch is
also home to the California Condor and the largest unspoiled oak
woodland in the state. We hope to protect for all time the critical
wildlife corridor that links the coast to the sequoias," he said.

"Tejon Ranch is celebrating its 160th anniversary this year," said Bob
Stine, Chief Executive Officer of Tejon Ranch Company. "To help us in
planning the future of this historic Ranch, we have created a long-term
vision that calls for permanent conservation of about 100,000 acres of
the most highly prized and environmentally sensitive lands in our
nation. Our Ranch vision also includes a reaffirmation of our historic
commitment to farming and grazing operations. We believe our Ranch
vision will help preserve for all time the California legacy that has
existed on Tejon Ranch for the past 160 years."

"We are partnering with the Trust for Public Land to pursue sale and
permanent conservation of a significant portion of the Ranch because TPL
has an excellent track record of working successfully on large
conservation projects," Stine continued. "We are committed to making
this environmental initiative work as it represents the cornerstone of
our long-term vision for the ranch."

The Trust for Public Land will work with Tejon Ranch management and
other resource experts to develop a conservation plan. This effort will
map important habitat areas, wildlife corridors and other high value,
environmentally sensitive lands and identify key areas for public
acquisition. TPL will subsequently work to appraise the property's value
and seek out public and private sources to fund the purchase and
protection of the land.

"We are a publicly traded company and we have fiduciary responsibilities
to our stockholders, so we are not in the business of giving our land
away," said Stine. "But our goal and our vision for the future includes
permanent protection of these highly valuable habitat areas if a fair
price can be obtained."

TPL is a national land conservation organization dedicated to conserving
land for people as parks, greenways, wilderness areas and natural,
historic and cultural resources for future generations. Founded in 1972,
TPL has protected more than 1.5 million acres nationwide.

Tejon Ranch Company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the
symbol TRC. Its principal asset is the 270,000-acre Tejon Ranch, which
is located approximately 60 miles north of Los Angeles and 30 miles
south of Bakersfield. Founded in 1843 as several Mexican land grants,
Tejon Ranch is now home to farming operations, cattle grazing, oil
production, mining, recreational activities, and limited development
along the Interstate 5 corridor. More information is available at www.tejonranch.com

The statements contained herein, which are not historical facts, are
forward-looking statements based on strategic plans, economic forecasts
and other factors, which by their nature involve risk and uncertainties.
In particular, among the factors that could cause eventual outcomes to
differ materially from such statements are the following: results of
scientific surveys and analyses, outcomes of negotiations, governmental
decision-making, business conditions and the general economy. For
further information on factors that could affect Tejon Ranch Company,
the reader should refer to its filings with the Securities and Exchange
Commission.