2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: petestrauss1@attbi.com
Date: 6 Jun 2003 20:12:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Interim Guidance on Perchlorate Activities

Lenny:

I think that you are giving the military way too much time to implement a
sampling program at any site suspected of having perchlorate contamination
(medium and high priority, in your terminology).  I know things move slowly
in DoD, but perchlorate is up on everyone's radar screen, and its time that
DoD actively look for it in the subsurface.  This is especially true at IR
sites.  Perhaps you should bifurcate the proposal: one for a general
inventory of active bases and one for IR sites.  At IR sites, sampling for
perchlorate should be added to the suite of contaminants sampled.

Also, aside from sole source aquifers as a potential focus area, plumes near
agricultural or residential areas that use irrigation water need to be
identified, as well as plumes near habitat of any endangered or sensitive
species.  This is because of perchlorate's proclivity to hyper-accumulate in
plants.

I would also suggest that the work at Texas Tech. (or something equivalent)
be accelerated and funded (by DoD) appropriately.

Peter Strauss