2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Laura Olah <info@cswab.org>
Date: 9 Jun 2003 13:44:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CSWAB Update: Preventing Pollution from Badger Army Ammunition Plant

CSWAB Update: Preventing Pollution from Badger Army Ammunition Plant

On May 5, 2003, Midwest Environmental Advocates and Citizens for Safe
Water Around Badger filed a second set of public comments with the DNR
identifying another technical error the DNR made when calculating air
pollution from the proposed open burning of buildings at the Badger
Ammunition Plant in Baraboo, Wisconsin.

identified an error in their model. They corrected the error and
introduced a new one, which our expert again identified. Once the new
error was removed and the proper heat content of wood and plume height
were used, our expert showed that open burning at Badger will generate
Particulate Matter (PM10) concentrations that are 2.7 times above the
24-hr National Ambient Air Quality Standards for PM10. These are the
national standards that are set to protect public health.

Example of Open Burning in Jolliet City, Illinois. Source:
www.plexsci.com

The DNR's response is that it will require monitoring of air pollution
while the burning is occurring. Monitoring, however, will not prevent
public health impacts if the burning results in the predicted high
levels of PM10. We have called on legislators and Wisconsin's Attorney
General to get involved to prevent this significant pollution from the
Badger Army Ammunition Plant.

--

Laura Olah, Executive Director

Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger