2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Jun 2003 15:26:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Perchlorate provisions in Senate-Milcon Appropriations Bill

This press release can be viewed online at:
http://feinstein.senate.gov/03Releases/r-milcon03committee.htm
Senate Appropriations Committee Approves $9.2 Billion Spending Bill to
Fund Military Construction, Housing, and
Remediation Projects

- Includes language requiring the Department of Defense to identify
sources of perchlorate contamination on BRAC properties and develop a
plan to remediate contamination -
June 26, 2003

Washington, DC - The U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee today
unanimously approved a $9.196 billion spending package to fund
construction, housing, and remediation projects at U.S. military bases
across the nation and around the world. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison
(R-TX) is Chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Military
Construction, and Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) is Ranking Member
of the subcommittee.

"When we put together the Military Construction Appropriation bill every
year, we try to fund the military service's highest priority projects,"
Senator Feinstein said. "Despite tight budgetary constraints, this year
we were able to fund almost $9.2 billion dollars for military
construction, family housing, and environmental remediation programs for
fiscal year 2004. This is a balanced program that will help provide the
infrastructure that continues to allow our military to be a highly
effective fighting force."

The package contains:

    * $4.6 billion for military construction projects - used for the
construction of barracks, child development centers, hospitals and
medical facilities, security investments, and funding for guard and
reserve units.

    * $3.95 billion of Family Housing Projects -- used for the
construction of new family housing and improvements and operations and
maintenance to existing units and for operation.

    * $370.43 million for Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) projects
-- including $21.6 million for clean up at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard.

The legislation also includes provisions to:

    * Establish an Overseas Basing Commission. This would be a
Congressionally appointed commission to study the structure of U.S.
overseas military facilities and report its conclusion and
recommendations to Congress and the President by August 30, 2004.
Senators Hutchison and Feinstein introduced legislation to create this
commission on April 29, 2003.

    * Ensure that the Department of Defense will respond appropriately
to clean up perchlorate contamination after a federal perchlorate
standard is set by:

      -Requiring that the Department submit a report by December 31,
2003 on the activities of the Interagency Perchlorate Steering
Committee, which was established to examine how Perchlorate
contamination has affected drinking water supplies and irrigation water
supplies.

      -Identifying sources of perchlorate on BRAC properties and develop
a plan to remediate perchlorate contamination on BRAC sites that can be
implemented quickly once state or Federal perchlorate standards are set.

"Senator Hutchison and I understand the importance of maintaining strong
military ties with our allies overseas and supports the Defense
Department's efforts to ensure that our overseas basing structure
reflects the international realities of the post-Cold War environment,"
Senator Feinstein said. "For this reason, we are recommending a pause in
funding a number of proposed construction projects in Europe and South
Korea until the Defense Department completes its overseas basing review
and presents a comprehensive plan to Congress. The overseas basing
commission that is included in this bill will provide another important
layer of oversight to this process."

"Additionally, the bill urges the Department of Defense to take
perchlorate contamination seriously and to be prepared to remediate the
contamination quickly once standards are set. Perchlorate contamination
at defense, and defense contractor sites, is a serious problem, and up
to this point, the Department has been unresponsive to requests to test
for perchlorate at BRAC properties or other defense sites. It is my hope
that the Department will get the message and begin to adequately address
the situation."

A list of California projects funded in the bill is attached.

###

MILITARY CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS

CALIFORNIA - FY 2004

Army National Guard
SACRAMENTO  READINESS CENTER  $306,000

Air National Guard
LOS ALAMITOS  UTILITY INFRASTRUCTURE, PHASE 1  $21,000,000

Air Force Reserve
MARCH ARB  UPGRADE UTILITIES  $1,444,000

Air Force
LA AFB  AREA B MAIN GATE COMPLEX  $5,000,000
TRAVIS AFB  AIR MOBILITY OPERATIONS GROUP
 - Global Reach Deployment Center  $1,350,000
TRAVIS AFB  REPLACE FAMILY HOUSING PH 4 (56 UNITS)  $12,723,000
BEALE AFB  GLOBAL HAWK UPGD DOCKS  $8,958,000
BEALE AFB  GLOBAL HAWK DORM (96 RM)  $13,342,000
EDWARDS AFB  ADD/REN JSF COMPLEX PHASE I  $19,060,000
VANDENBERG AFB  CONSOLIDATED FITNESS CENTER  $16,500,000

Army National Guard
BAKERSFIELD  READINESS CENTER (ADRS)  $5,495,000

Navy & Marine Corps
PT. MAGU  READY MISSILE FACILITY  $3,000,000
LEMOORE  LEMOORE LEXINGTON PARK REPL. CONST (187)  $41,585,000
CAMP PENDLETON  TERTIARY SWG TRTMNT(INCI)  $24,960,000
CAMP PENDLETON  BEQ SAN MATEO  $22,930,000
CHINA LAKE  AIRFIELD PAVEMENT UPGRADE  $12,890,000
LEMOORE  MAINT HANGAR-O/H SPACE  $24,610,000
LEMOORE  OPERATIONAL TRAINER  $9,900,000
MIRAMAR  A/C FIRE/RESCUE STATION  $4,740,000
MONTEREY  BOQ  $35,550,000
NORTH ISLAND  TAXIWAY/TOWER  $13,650,000
NORTH ISLAND  SQUADRON OPERATIONS FAC  $35,590,000
SAN CLEMENTE  OPERATIONAL ACCESS - SHOBA  $18,940,000
SAN DIEGO  BEQ HOMEPORT ASHORE  $42,710,000
TWENTYNINE PALMS  EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE OPS  $2,290,000
TWENTYNINE PALMS  BACHELOR ENLISTED QUARTERS  $26,100,000
SAM NICOLAS ISLAND  TRANSIENT QUARTERS(SNI)  $6,150,000

Navy Reserve
NORTH ISLAND  C-40 HANGAR  $15,973,000