2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 15:12:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Two dozen protest Army presentation

Hawai'i
WEST HAWAII TODAY
Two dozen protest Army presentation
By TIFFANY EDWARDS
Thursday, July 17, 2003

HILO - U.S. Army officials briefed 50 representatives of island business
and government Wednesday night on the status of the proposed Pohakuloa
Training Area expansion. The invitation - only dinner at the Hilo
Hawaiian Hotel marked the 24th time the military has held a briefing on
this proposal and had it closed to the public.

Col. David Anderson, a garrison commander who leads Hawaii's Army
installations, said before the dinner the military has chosen to have
all but two of its briefings private to "garner specific comments from
public leaders," and prepare for public meetings. Anderson said the Army
would "continue to have meetings to solicit comments as we engage in the
process."

Wednesday's private dinner drew criticism from two dozen activists, with
Jim Albertini publicly admonishing the Army for setting up an
"insiders/outsiders" scenario and asked why taxpayers were being denied
the right to "ask questions how and why their money is being spent."

Albertini was among at least 25 people who lined Banyan Drive Wednesday
night outside the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel with signs reading "Military:
Clean Up Your Mess" and "Aloha Not Bombs."

Kealoha Kaipo, of Puna, said he heard about the protest on the radio and
decided to join in because he "tired of getting overrun by government"
and the proposed expansion is on Hawaiian land.

"It's supposed to be a paradise place, for our children to see things
good for them. Why destroy what we have, the Hawaiians," he said,
suggesting the military put the training base "in their own yard."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/daily/2003/Jul-17-Thu-2003/news/news1.html