2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 16:01:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Environmental impact of firing unclear

Virginia
THE FREE LANCE-STAR
Environmental impact of firing unclear
By RUSTY DENNEN
Date published: 7/20/2003

Environmental effect of decades of firing into Potomac is unknown.

The Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Division, has fired a small
mountain of shells, bombs, mines and rockets into the Potomac River
since the Navy opened a range there in 1918.

Many of them, especially in the early years of the range, contained
toxic substances--from propellents and TNT to heavy metals.

Dahlgren officials say they don't know if there has been any
environmental damage in connection with the Potomac River Test Range.

"The Navy and DOD [Department of Defense] have that on their radar
screen, but it's not on ours," said Ann Swope, NSWC's senior
environmental scientist. "We have too many battles to fight on land
first, and we are addressing all of those."

She said the base has tested its land-based firing ranges and sample
areas along the river shore and Machodoc Creek. Those are all related to
toxic sites designated for cleanup under the EPA's Superfund program.

"We have done a lot of environmental studies, but not per se on the
river or on the channel," Swope said.

One reason is the sheer volume of water in the river. "You would not
expect to get good data there as to what's in the sediment and water."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2003/072003/07202003/1011319