2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 16:36:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Letterkenny environmental work honored

Pennsylvania
CHAMBERSBURG PUBLIC OPINION
Letterkenny environmental work honored
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Letterkenny Army Depot has been awarded the Army's highest honor for
environmental stewardship because of its recent strides in the long-term
cleanup of soil and groundwater.

"This award demonstrates the tremendous efforts and innovative
techniques indicative of great civilians," said Col. William A. Guinn,
Letterkenny commander. "I am delighted that Letterkenny won this award.
Our environmental team has worked long and hard for years to clean up
sites which were inadvertently polluted decades ago. They truly deserve
this recognition."

Geoffrey Prosch, principal deputy assistant secretary of the Army for
installations and environment, presented the 2002 Secretary of the Army
Environmental Award for Environmental Restoration to Guinn during a
ceremony on July 22 at U.S. Army Materiel Command Headquarters in Fort
Belvoir, Va. Guinn said he accepted the award on behalf of Letterkenny's
environmental team.

Letterkenny, a 17,500-acre base north of Chambersburg, is the nation's
primary repair shop for air defense and tactical missile systems.

The Army has been spending millions of dollars to clean up soil and
groundwater contaminated with solvents, heavy metals, petroleum
hydrocarbons, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and volatile organic
compounds (VOCs). The chemicals were leaked, spilled and dumped in the
1940s, '50s and '60s.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/news/stories/20030731/localnews/562166.html