2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 17:28:46 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Lowry residents hear plan on cleanup

Colorado
DENVER POST
Lowry residents hear plan on cleanup
By Joey Bunch and Kristi Arellano, Denver Post Staff Writers
Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 12:00:00 AM MST

State Health Department Director Doug Benevento gave a short explanation
Wednesday night to a cumbersome process for homeowners and builders
anxious to rid their east Denver neighborhood of asbestos.

Asbestos found at the Lowry redevelopment site, a former Air Force base,
will be dug up and replaced with 6 inches to 2 feet of clean dirt,
Benevento told an audience of about 200 in a 4-minute presentation.

Asbestos found any deeper would not pose a risk, he said, since fibers
must be airborne to be inhaled, where they can do serious damage to
humans' lungs.

"The goal is to eliminate pathways to exposure," Benevento said. "There
may be asbestos lower, but we don't feel it would pose a risk of
exposure."

In an interview with The Denver Post, Benevento acknowledged that
digging utility lines or other work with the soil deeper than 2 feet
could stir up buried asbestos.

"That's an issue we've still got to deal with," he said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1543490,00.html