2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Aug 2003 13:55:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Army will restore native plants for seabird habitat in addition

The following was posted by <jdknipp@earthlink.net>
This problem may have been acerbated by the actions taken to manually
demilitarize GB and VX rockets on Johnston Island in the 1970s. After
neutralizing the agents in a glove box, the debris was put on a barge
and should have been detonated at sea. However, the Tech Escort
commander heading up the operation there elected to tow the barge to a
"deserted" island and detonated it there. He was not aware that the
island was a bird sanctuary.