2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 7 Aug 2003 14:50:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Colton, Rialto sign on for groundwater study

The Press-Enterprise requires registration to view this article.
Registration is quick and free.
California
THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE
Colton, Rialto sign on for groundwater study
PERCHLORATE: The cities will meet with the Defense Department to discuss
pollution issues.
By K. Franke Santos
08/06/2003

The perchlorate-plagued cities of Rialto and Colton may be closer to
getting their contaminated water supplies cleaned up.

During negotiations with the Department of Defense last week in
Washington, D.C., the parties signed a nonbinding letter of intent that
says they will meet to hammer out an agreement over a study of the
groundwater basin and eventual cleanup, said Brad Baxter, public works
director for Rialto.

The meeting, scheduled for Aug. 20 and 21 in Washington, might not
result in an agreement, Baxter said.

"It's nice that we have a letter of intent, but the letter of intent
needs to be put into something that's real to the community," Baxter
said.

Elected officials and staff from both Rialto and Colton signed the
letter along with a Defense Department official, John Paul Woodley,
assistant deputy undersecretary of defense for environment.

"It's certainly a positive step in getting the resources of the
(Department of Defense) behind us in this perchlorate issue," said Daryl
Parrish, city manager of Colton.

"We realize it's a very serious issue," said Glenn Flood, Defense
Department spokesman. But agreements are "not going to be something
that's going to happen overnight," Flood said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.pe.com/localnews/sanbernardino/stories/PE_NEWS_nblet06.f4c9.html