2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Aug 2003 20:14:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Hillcrest case is encouraging

New York
PRESS & SUN-BULLETIN
Editorial: Hillcrest case is encouraging
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

As concerns about chemical pollution in Endicott continue to grow,
residents there can take some solace in the knowledge that things can
get better. As one example, all they have to do is look at nearby
Hillcrest.

There, workers continue to haul away tons of contaminated soil from a
military depot and cleanup officials hope to complete a five-year
cleanup effort by the end of this year. The effort began when Hillcrest
residents pushed state and federal officials to clean up polluted sites
after several unexplained childhood cancer cases were diagnosed in the
community in the 1990s.

The situations are different, obviously, but Hillcrest residents went
through the same sort of anxiety many Endicott residents are
experiencing now. Some people moved away; others got engaged in the
process and eventually formed the Hillcrest Environmental Action team.
Bruce Oldfield, a member of that citizens' group, now says he and others
are happy with the way the cleanup was handled. "They moved along rather
rapidly, especially dealing with the federal government," he said last
week. "They were concerned about the people. We're thrilled."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.pressconnects.com/today/opinion/stories/op081203s21962.shtml