2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Aug 2003 15:41:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Depot ready to turn over land

Pennsylvania
THE SENTINEL
Depot ready to turn over land
By Tatiana Zarnowski
August 16, 2003

A van bumps along a gravel drive through an open space with rolling
hills, scattered trees and high weeds.

Piles of asphalt, concrete chunks and stone sit off to one side. On the
other stands a red fire hydrant.

In the past, this land at Letterkenny Army Depot in Chambersburg was
used to store military vehicles. In the future, "the hills," as the area
is called, will be used for Cumberland Valley Business Park in Greene
Township, Franklin County, a mixture of commercial and industrial
buildings.

The land will be turned over to the public as Phase III of Letterkenny
Army Depot's remedial action program, which cleans up contaminated land
and turns it over to Letterkenny Industrial Development Authority (LIDA)
for re-use.

LIDA developed the plan for reusing 1,450 acres of depot land associated
with the 1995 Base Closure and Realignment Act (BRAC).

Some land was already transferred to LIDA - 233 acres in 1998 as Phase I
and 327 acres in 2002 as Phase II.

BRAC environmental coordinator Bryan Hoke led a tour this week of the
environmental cleanups for members of the Restoration Advisory Board and
the public. The board, consisting of local government officials and
residents, provides input about the cleanups.

The tour is designed to show the public "what we're actually doing and
what Letterkenny looks like," Hoke says.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2003/08/16/news/news03.txt