2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 16:50:46 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] First land transfer at former depot

Illinois
GALENA GAZETTE
First land transfer at former depot
By Amy Alderman
August 26, 2003

SAVANNA—The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Illinois Department
of Natural Resources (IDNR) will soon have 9,404 acres of prairielands
and backwaters for nature enthusiasts to peruse at the former Savanna
Army Depot.

"We are going to provide a tremendous amount of resources," said Ed
Britton, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service district manager, who has been
working with the U.S. Army, the IDNR and the Jo Carroll Local
Redevelopment Authority for the last eight years to get parcels of land
transferred.

Britton made a presentation on the management for the Lost Mound Unit to
73 attendees at the Eagle's Landing Welcome Center at the former army
depot on Saturday, August 23.

The first parcels of land may transfer as soon as Oct. 1 this year when
the USFWS obtains 3,200 acres of backwaters, and grasslands where some
trails and walking paths are already in place.

The Lost Mound Unit will be managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service for the future use of visitors and sportsman to experience the
wildlife along the bottomlands and uplands of the Mississippi River.

Nature enthusiasts and people from the surrounding areas came to hear
what the Lost Mound Unit has in store for the preservation of wildlife
and ecotourism.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.galgazette.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=129&ArticleID=4255