2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Sep 2003 19:21:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Army again begins sarin agent burns

Alabama
ANNISTON STAR
Army again begins sarin agent burns
By Sara Clemence
09-05-2003

The Army began burning GB nerve agent in bulk at the Anniston chemical
weapons incinerator for the second time Thursday night.

The burn began a little after 8 p.m., and was scheduled to continue most
of the night.

Managers planned to destroy about 300 gallons of GB nerve agent, or
sarin, by this morning.

“That’s a goal that we had set so we could keep the (agent storage) tank
empty enough to run more rockets,” said plant manager Ken Ankrom, in the
control room Thursday evening. “It we get a steady flow, I might get
more than that.”

About 120 pounds of agent, or approximately 12 gallons, had been
destroyed before 9 p.m.

Since operations began Aug. 9, the facility has drained, cut up and
burned 1,284 M55 rockets filled with sarin, including 120 processed
Thursday.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.annistonstar.com/news/2003/as-calhoun-0905-sclemence-3i04w4212.htm