2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Sep 2003 16:28:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] State cites weapons incinerator for minor violations

Alabama
TIMES DAILY
State cites weapons incinerator for minor violations
September 10, 2003

State regulators cited the Army for minor environmental violations at
its newest chemical weapons incinerator, which was temporarily shut down
for unrelated problems.

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management, which told the
military it was in violation of its operating permit for the
incinerator, said the problems did not immediately endanger anyone's
safety.

The violations involved pipe flanges that were not properly marked and
liquid levels in drainage pumps at the incinerator, located at the
Anniston Army Depot.

"As soon as we brought them to their attention they immediately started
working on them," said Steve Cobb, chief of ADEM's governmental
hazardous waste branch.

Army project manager Tim Garrett called the issues "very minor" and said
managers would discuss one problem and work with ADEM to fix the other
two.

Meanwhile, the Army said the incinerator was temporarily shut down
Tuesday because of a problem with a conveyor system that carries rocket
parts from a furnace to waste bins. The system appeared to jam, said
Mike Abrams, a spokesman for the incinerator.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030910/APN/309100745