2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Sep 2003 00:04:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] perchlorate politics

The following report from Larry Ladd reinforces my belief that many
conservative Republicans will vote like environmentalists on perchlorate
issues. Major known sources of perchlorate - typically aerospace
industry facilities - tend to be located in suburban areas in the
Southwest, most of which have voted Republican for decades. And the
people who live next door or downgradient care about chemical
contamination that threatens their children, born and unborn.
Consequently, even in the Republican-dominated U.S. House of
Representatives, it is unlikely that elected officials will let
perchlorate polluters off the hook.

Lenny Siegel

Ladd wrote:

"The [California] state Senate vote on perchlorate disclosure was along
partisan lines, with Democrats for and Republicans against. In the
Assembly, however, 8 Republicans where perchlorate is an issue in their
area voted for perchlorate disclosure. Those assemblypersons were: Bogh
(Yucaipa) and Dutton (Rancho Cucamonga) of the Inland Empire, Harmon
(Huntington Beach) and Spitzer (Orange) of Orange County, Horton (Lemon
Grove) of San Diego, Maldonado (San Luis Obispo), and Richman (Santa Clarita)."