2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Sep 2003 14:39:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Aircraft go through decon demo

AIR FORCE LINK
Aircraft go through decon demo
by 1st Lt. James Madeiros
Air Armament Center Environmental Public Affairs
September 17, 2003

9/17/2003 - EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFPN) -- The final phase of a
two-year long test to discover solutions to aircraft chemical and
biological contamination is being conducted by the Defense Threat
Reduction Agency here Sept. 8 to 24.

The Large Frame Aircraft Decontamination Demonstration examined the
return of once-contaminated aircraft to a serviceable condition within
regulations set forth by the United States, officials said.

“There is a policy in the Department of Defense that says if any
aircraft becomes contaminated with a chemical-warfare agent overseas,
that it cannot ever return to the United States,” said Dr. Ralph
Haddock, demonstration test manager. “The purpose of that is to be sure
that we never bring any chemical back to the states and expose our
populace to it.”

The policy established for the United States was adopted by allied
nations as well, said Haddock. That leaves very few options for a
contaminated aircraft to remain useful in the military inventory.

The reduction agency developed the demonstration analysis to find a way
to decontaminate aircraft using existing cleaning technologies. This
would remove contaminants to a degree that would allow its return to
U.S. soil, he said.

A partnership between officials from Pacific Air Forces, the reduction
agency, Dugway Proving Ground and Eglin Air Force Base established a way
to conduct the demonstration in an appropriate manner with qualified
people.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.af.mil/stories/story.asp?storyID=123005628