2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 16:36:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Report finds strengths, weaknesses in Fish and Wildlife Service's e

The GAO report referenced below can be downloaded at:
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d03803.pdf

ENVIRONMENTAL NEWS NETWORK
Report finds strengths, weaknesses in Fish and Wildlife Service's
endangered species program
By John Heilprin, Associated Press
Tuesday, September 30, 2003

WASHINGTON — Congressional investigators generally approve of the way
the Fish and Wildlife Service is putting science into its endangered
species program but say improvement is needed in decisions to protect
habitats needed for species to recover.

A report Monday from the General Accounting Office, the investigative
arm of Congress, put new pressure on Fish and Wildlife to develop
guidelines for when to require critical habitats, mainly to reduce the
agency's exposure to lawsuits from environmental groups.

The GAO, which made a similar recommendation 15 months ago, urged
Interior Secretary Gale Norton to require such guidelines from Fish and
Wildlife.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.enn.com/news/2003-09-30/s_8930.asp