2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 20:03:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Toxic 'ghost ships' delayed

England
THE EVENING STANDARD
Toxic 'ghost ships' delayed
By James Langton and Ben Leapman, Evening Standard

Plans to bring a "ghost fleet" of toxic American ships to be scrapped in
Britain ran into an obstacle today - in the unlikely shape of Belgium.

The first of 13 former US navy ships, condemned and contaminated with
cancer-causing chemicals, had been set to start their Atlantic crossing
today after a court in Washington threw out objections from
environmental campaigners.

But Britain's Maritime and Coastguard Agency, which must approve the
voyage from Virginia to a scrapyard in Hartlepool, said it faced a delay
because neighbouring countries had not completed the necessary
paperwork.

While Ireland and France were expected to give the all-clear, Belgium
appeared to harbour doubts.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/7005683?source=Evening%20Standard