2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Oct 2003 14:24:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Quiet waters run Navy deep

Washington
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
Quiet waters run Navy deep
Monday, October 6, 2003

Sonar needs quieting in Washington's waters.

That message should come through clearly for the Navy after a state
legislative hearing last week explored issues around the effects of
severe noise on marine mammals.

As the House Fisheries, Ecology and Parks Committee heard, orcas and
other mammals appeared to react with panic to the USS Shoup's use of
sonar during training in Haro Strait May 5. Later, the bodies of 13
harbor porpoises washed up; the cause of death is under study.

The Navy apparently takes considerable care to avoid such problems
around Puget Sound. Good. That's a reflection of Northwest naval units'
impressive commitment to the region's natural resources, despite the
Pentagon's dangerous push for exemption from federal environmental laws.

This article can be viewed at:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/142465_sonared.html