2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Oct 2003 19:29:22 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Environmentalists face off against government

Texas
EL PASO TIMES
Environmentalists face off against government
Border Patrol eyes Castner Range for its new 45-acre site
Zahira Torres
October 13, 2003

Community members hope their environmental concerns impact a study
expected to determine what becomes of a stretch of Northeast land once
used to test military ordnance.

"Once people start seeing development out there, other agencies,
government entities, individuals or corporations will want to do the
same thing," said Stan Stack, a Northeast business owner and member of
the Franklin Mountains Wilderness Coalition. "This construction will be
done without consideration for what happens with the rest of the land on
Castner Range."

But officials believe that acquiring a 45-acre site for a multi-million
dollar Border Patrol facility will enhance the area without causing an
environmental impact on the plants and wildlife.

"Castner Range is a preferred site because we don't expect anyone to
build around there any time soon, so we have a security buffer and we
have immediate access to US-54," John Esquivel, Assistant Chief, said.

Border Patrol officials are also leaning toward the site because the
federally owned land is priced at the cost to clean the area of
unexploded ordnances.

Community members have until Oct. 24 to voice their opinions on the
assessment. Otherwise, Castner Range will be selected as the site for
the new facility, said Julie Hall, chief of the environmental resources
section with the Army Corps of Engineers.

"If we receive no response, we will assume there are no significant
issues with the preferred plan," Hall said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/neighborhoods/northeastcentral/20031013-32362.shtml