2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 Oct 2003 17:54:29 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Alameda Point forum to target toxins in soil

California
ALAMEDA TIMES-STAR ONLINE
Alameda Point forum to target toxins in soil
Collaborative will hold open house today to address health concerns
By Kristin Bender
Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 6:51:41 AM PST

ALAMEDA -- Several months after the U.S. Navy removed toxic soil near
housing at Alameda Point, residents worried about health impacts from
the contaminants will have an opportunity to speak with environmental
experts today.

The Alameda Point Collaborative -- the nonprofit operating 200 units on
34 acres at the former Navy base -- is sponsoring an "environmental open
house" from 4 to 8 p.m. in the mural room at the collaborative's
headquarters, 677 West Ranger Ave.

As part of the base cleanup project to prepare the land for development,
the Navy this summer removed polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH's) at
several locations throughout neighborhoods at Alameda Point.

The soil is gone, but questions linger.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.timesstar.com/Stories/0,1413,125~1486~1699736,00.html