2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Oct 2003 15:49:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Residents press Air Force to clean up Leon Creek

Texas
THE EXPRESS-NEWS
NEW: Residents press Air Force to clean up Leon Creek
By Jerry Needham
Web Posted : 10/16/2003 3:39 PM

Some residents are pressing the Air Force to clean up a creek where
contaminated fish have resulted in a Texas Department of Health warning
to avoid eating fish taken from a stretch of the creek that runs through
Lackland AFB.

Air Force officials say they have nothing to act on because they haven't
isolated the source of the polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs.

“When will the Air Force be a good steward and remove the contaminants
from Leon Creek?” Armando Quintanilla, a former longtime resident of the
neighborhood, said in addressing the Lackland AFB Community Council on
Restoration on Wednesday. “I strongly urge that officials at Lackland
come up with immediate plans to clean up the creek.”

Quintanilla was one of several residents who asked what the Air Force is
doing in light of the state advisory issued on Aug. 27.

The council is an advisory group composed of neighborhood residents,
business people and environmental regulators.

For more than a decade, the Air Force has been investigating and
cleaning up polluted soil and groundwater at Lackland and the former
Kelly AFB, part of which was transferred to Lackland when it closed in
2001.

This article can be viewed at:
http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=1070517