2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Oct 2003 20:12:26 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Greenway to combat Eglin encroachment

Florida Panhandle air base, already nation's largest, looking for more
space

Sunday, October 19, 2003

By BILL KACZOR, Associated Press

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE — The 724 square miles of forests, swamps and
beaches encompassed by Eglin make it the nation's largest air base, yet
officials are worried about running out of room.

Future development may make it impossible for Eglin and other bases to
continue using airspace over surrounding civilian areas for missions
such as low-level training flights and weapons testing.

Eglin officials want to protect that airspace by blocking most
development in a largely forested area of the Florida Panhandle 100
miles long and 10 miles wide. This flight path would extend east from
Eglin and curve around Panama City to the Gulf of Mexico.

See http://web.naplesnews.com/03/10/florida/e36667a.htm