2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Oct 2003 18:34:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fort asks for public pulse on projects

Arizona
SIERRA VISTA HERALD
Fort asks for public pulse on projects
By Bill Hess
October 27, 2003

FORT HUACHUCA -- It is unusual for fort officials to take the public's
pulse before an environmental assessment for any new project.

But due to the potential noise and "view shed" impact off the fort of
two proposed projects, fort officials are asking for input up front,
said Gretchen Kent, the installation's National Environmental Policy Act
coordinator.

Scoping is the official word that Kent used to describe getting the
public's perception for two planned long-range projects that include the
development of a recreational area near Wilcox Gate and establishing
alternative energy systems.

"We don't do a lot of what we call scoping, but in these cases we will,"
Kent said.

Both proposed projects "will have a lot of impact off the installation,"
she added.

The project near the Wilcox Gate will affect off-post business and
residential neighborhoods, Kent said.

As for the energy project, she said it could include a variety of
electrical generating possibilities, including generating power by wind
turbines, burning trash or other methods.

The potential for some is that a view shed impact exists for both
projects, Kent said. View shed is the government term for what a person
sees.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.svherald.com/articles/2003/10/27/news/news1.txt