2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Oct 2003 18:56:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Court OKs plan to burn chemicals at arsenal

Arkansas
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE
Court OKs plan to burn chemicals at arsenal
By Michael R. Wickline and Austin Gelder
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003

The Arkansas Supreme Court upheld Thursday the state’s decision to clear
the way for the construction and operation of an incinerator for
disposal of chemical weapons stored at the Pine Bluff Arsenal.

The seven-member court unanimously rejected five arguments made by a
coalition of environmental and veterans groups.

Twelve percent of the nation’s chemical weapons stockpiles are in
storage units on the 13,444-acre arsenal. Among locations in the United
States, only an arsenal at Tooele, Utah, has a greater amount of
chemical weapons stored. The Pine Bluff Arsenal, northwest of Pine
Bluff, has nearly 4,000 tons of mustard gas, plus rockets containing
sarin, a nerve agent.

Wednesday’s decision knocks down what could have proved an obstacle to
the start of arms incineration in April 2004. "We’re certainly elated
about it," said Chris West, spokesman for the Washington
Demilitarization Co., which has charge of destroying the hazardous
materials at the arsenal. "It means that unless something unforeseen
happens, we’re going to be able to carry out our schedule and plans," he
said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/story_National.php?storyid=45990